In 1970, the Tanzania Union Mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church found it necessary to establish a ministerial training institution for its workers. It was located at Ikizu, 65 kilometers southeast of Musoma town.
In 1975, the Tanzania Union Mission combined the Adventist School of Health Evangelism (ASHE) at Heri Hospital in Kigoma and the ministerial course at Ikizu. This consolidated institution was then transferred to a new site at Usa River, 24 kilometers from Arusha town, and was named Arusha Adventist Seminary (AAS).
In 1978, AAS was upgraded to a college status and named Tanzania Adventist Seminary and College (TASC).
In 1992, the name was changed to Tanzania Adventist College (TAC) and the ministerial course was replaced by a two-year diploma program in theology. In 1996, TAC was affiliated to Griggs University in the USA. Under this affiliation, TAC offered BA in Theology and Religion.
In 1998, the affiliation shifted from Griggs University to the University of Eastern Africa, Baraton (UEAB) in Kenya. Under this affiliation, TAC offered BA in theology and reli- gion, BBA in accounting and management and diploma courses in education and business. Apart from the affiliation with UEAB, TAC was also a teachers’ college under the then Ministry of Education and Culture (MEC). Under the MEC Registration Number S. 401, it offered diploma in education, diploma in secretarial science, and certificate in secretarial science.
In early 2003, TAC began the process of being a University. On September 2003, it was granted a Letter of Interim Authority (LIA) by the then Higher Education Accreditation Council (HEAC) of Tanzania, now called the Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU). Under the LIA, TAC was authorized to carry the name the University of Arusha.
In September 2004, HEAC granted the University of Arusha (UoA) a certificate of Provisional Registration No. 016.
In the year 2006, the University of Arusha became fully licensed and accredited by Tanzania Commission for Universities as a graduate university.
In 2009, the University of Arusha submitted the first four graduate programs to the TCU for accreditation in education and business. The Graduate School with its programs in business and education started on November 2010 in Arusha City. Under the School of Education, the following concentrations are offered: (a) MA in educational management and (b) MA in curriculum and instruction. The Faculty of Business also offers three areas of concentration and they are as follows: (a) MBA in finance and accounting, (b) MBA in strategic marketing and entrepreneurship, and (c) MBA in strategic human resource.
Do you want academic excellence in a stimulating Christian environment where faculty and staff are
committed to prepare students for the joy of service in this world and the world to come?
Do you want to grow professionally through integrated development of the intellectual,
physical, social, and spiritual dimensions?
Do you want to interact with faculty, staff and students of different nationalities and cultures?
Do you want to develop your ability, independence and creativity in thinking effectively, analyzing data,
and communicating information clearly rather than merely reflecting others’ thoughts?
Have you ever thought that you can be the best person you want to be in life?
The University of Arusha is the ideal place for you!
A Christian university that exists for excellence in wholistic education, professional development, research and consultancy services.
To provide an accessible and affordable wholistic education which will empower individuals to continue learning and serving the church, the nation, and international communities.
To meet the intellectual, physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of students in order that their educational experience will prepare them for service to the glory of God and their fellow men here, as well as for a life of greater service in the hereafter.
The objectives of the University of Arusha are as follows:
- To assist in the formation of a noble Christian character by placing emphasis on the spiritual values of life.
- To provide an environment conducive to consistent Christian living.
- To develop habits of accuracy, discrimination and sound judgment in thinking and acting.
- To cultivate a sense of civic responsibility and loyal citizenship.
- To give an intellectual and practical experience which will make each student resourceful, confident, and well-qualified to meet the realities of life.
- To stimulate an appreciation of the best in books, in nature, in music, and in social and recreational activities.
- To help students to develop desirable personalities and to discover capabilities, aptitudes, and interests latent within themselves.
- To provide opportunities for the development of the physical nature through education and practice.
BASIC TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATE (NTA Level 4: 1 YEAR)
- Basic Technician Certificate in Office Administration and Human Resources MGT
- Basic Technician Certificate in Procurement and Supply Management
- Basic Technician Certificate in Sales and Marketing Strategies
- Basic Technician Certificate in Theology
- Basic Technician Certificate in Business Administration
- Basic Technician Certificate in Accountancy
- Basic Technician Certificate in Records, Archive and Information Management
- Basic Technician Certificate in Computing, Information and Communication Technology
At least four passes (D’s) at Ordinary level.
ORDINARY DIPLOMA (NTA Level 5 & 6: 2 YEARS)
- Ordinary Diploma in Office Administration and Human Resources Management
- Ordinary Diploma in Procurement and Supply MGT
- Ordinary Diploma in Sales and Marketing Strategies
- Ordinary Diploma in Theology
- Ordinary Diploma in Business Administration
- Ordinary Diploma in Accountancy
- Ordinary Diploma in Records, Archive and Information Management
- Ordinary Diploma in Computing and Information Technology
Basic Technician Certificate (NTA – Level 4) OR At least one principal pass and one subsidiary at Advanced Level Secondary Education.
BACHELOR DEGREE (3 YEARS)
- Bachelor of Arts in Theology
- Bachelor of Arts in Religion
- Bachelor of Education (with two teaching subjects: History, Geography, English, Kiswahili, Accounting, Religion or Management).
- BBA in Accounting with Education
- BBA in Accounting
- BBA in Management
- BBA in Office Administration and HRM
- BBA in Marketing
a.For those who completed A-Level Before 2014: Two principal passes with a total of 4. 0 points from Two Subjects defining the admission into the respective program (where A = 5; B = 4; C= 3; D = 2; E = 1).
b.For those who completed A-Level Studies in 2014 and 2015: Two principal passes (Cs) with a total of 4.0 points from Two Subjects defining the admission into the respective program (where A=5; B+= 4; B = 3 ;C= 2; D =1).
c.For those who completed A-Level from 2016: Two principal passes with a total of 4.0 points from Two Subjects defining the admission into the respective program (where A = 5; B = 4; C= 3; D = 2; E = 1).
d. Recognition of Prior Learning Qualification: B+ Grade: where A =75-100, B+ = 65--‐74, B=50--‐64, C =40--‐49,
D = 35--‐39, F = 0--‐38.
e. Equivalent Qualification: At least 4 O’-Level passes (D's) and above) or NVA Level III with less than four O’-Level passes or equivalent foreign qualifications as established by NECTA/ VETA; AND
1. At least a GPA of 3.0 for Ordinary Diploma (NTA Level 6); OR
2. Average of C for Full Technician Certificate (FTC) (where A=5, B=4, C=3, and D=2 points); OR
3. Average of ‘B’ Grade for Diploma in Teacher Education; OR
4. Average of ‘B’ Grade for Health-related awards such as Clinical Medicine and others; OR
5. A Distinction for unclassified diplomas and certificates.
6. Upper Second Class for classified non‐NTA diplomas.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (1 Year)
- Master of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction (1.5 Year)
- Master of Arts in Educational Management and Leadership (1.5 Year)
- Master of Business Administration in Accounting and Finance (1.5 Year)
- Master of Business Administration in Strategic Marketing and Entrepreneurship (1.5 Year)
- Master of Business Administration in Strategic Human Resources Management (1.5 Year)
Bachelor’s Degree in any field of study from a recognized institution of higher learning with a minimum GPA of 2.7. For those with a GPA of less than 2.7 but with a Postgraduate Diploma with a minimum GPA of 2.7 can be admitted for masters’ programs.
Program Study Options:
We offer postgraduate programs in the following options:
- School Holidays (June and December)
How to apply: Fill the application form from the University Website http://uoa.ac.tz/ and send through one of the following options: