1.Announcement of WISE – Futures PhD Scholarship Opportunities Available at NM-AIST for Regional (Africa) Student Applicants ONLY
The African centre of excellence on Water Infrastructure and Sustainable Energy Futures (WISE – Futures) at Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST) in Arusha, Tanzania, is announcing the PhD scholarships by research and thesis to support students to study at NMAIST in three key areas: water and sanitation, water resources, and energy. Students should have admission or applied in programs available at NMAIST website (www.nm-aist.ac.tz) related to Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering, Hydrogeology, Water Resources Management, Environmental Science and Engineering, Sustainable Energy Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering in Energy Materials or water treatment/purification technologies. Students with background in Water Resources Engineering, Hydrology, Water Supply Engineering, Sanitary Engineering, Environmental Sciences and Engineering, Sustainable Energy Science and Engineering or equivalent related fields such as Applied Mathematics, Geology, Ecology, Agricultural/Irrigation Engineering, Civil Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Environmental or Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geosciences etc. are eligible.
These scholarships are open to regional (Africa) students. Female applicants will be given priority consideration for the scholarship. The partial scholarships will run for three years. The scholarship is initially granted for one year and may be subsequently extended upon successful academic performance. While on the scholarship, students are encouraged to apply for additional funds for research money. Successful applicants are expected to report immediately after receiving scholarship offer.
- One page motivation
- Academic transcripts and certificates in relevant
- NM-AIST admission letter or proof of completed application for admission to NM-AIST (In case you do not have admission letter, please apply admission through nm-aist.ac.tz).
- A recommendation letter from the current employer and/or previous supervisor /
- Evidence of peer reviewed journal
- A maximum of 2-page of Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- 3000 words (minimum) r esearch concept note fitting the key areas of WISE – Futures: water and sanitation, water resources, and Concept notes should be in one of these areas: (i) fecal sludge emptying system, characterization, and treatment, (ii) decentralized waste water treatment and resource recovery, (iii) micro-hydro power and micro-wind energy turbine design, (iv) capacitive deionization stack design for desalination, (v) solar energy for different applications, (vi) water resources management, (vii) ground water quality and flow system analysis, (viii) water productivity and irrigation development, (ix) climate impact modeling (downscaling and prediction of change), (x) hydropower development (xi) urban water management, (xii) water supply, (xiii) solar PV design, (xiv) membrane design for water purification,
(xv) performance improvement of Tanzanian gas power plants, (xvi) Smart grid, and (xvii) distributed urban system transformation (DUST) (the group of students can work on this, i.e, water purification system, energy, irrigation, waste water treatment, etc.)
- Incomplete documents or failure to follow instructions will automatically lead to
- Please note that only successful candidates will be informed for further instructions on reporting time to commence studies at NM-AIST.
How to apply? Send your applications with all required documents via email: email@example.com. Application Deadline: November 30th, 2018 1800 (East African Time). Your email subject should mention your nationality, name, and research area number as given in number 7 of eligibility criteria.
Nelson Mandela Rd, Tengeru,
P.O. BOX 9124, Nelson Mandela,