Call for Application-Catholic Scholarship Programme for Tanzania
The Catholic Scholarship Programme wishes to announce that it is accepting scholarship applications for the 2018/2019 academic year. Interested applicants are invited to request for an application form from.
The Catholic Scholarship Programme for Tanzania
Phone: Telephone: +255 754 687 702 or +255 765 665 744
The Catholic Scholarship Programme was established to contribute to building the capacity of the Church by developing servant leaders who will contribute to developing leadership within congregations and communities and the apostolic works and the Church. The Programme seeks to achieve this goal by providing eligible sisters, brothers, priests and lay persons working with and for the Church with access to higher education and leadership training. Preference will be given to women religious and local congregations.
Catholic sisters, brothers and priests who can demonstrate leadership traits and potential.
Lay persons may be nominated by a Church-based organization if they meet the following
requirements: (1) a full-time employee of a church-based organization for at least three
consecutive years and (2) holds a leadership position in the nominated organization.
Specific Course of Study:
Master’s Degrees and Post-graduate Diploma. Note that eligibility for a Master’s degrees or Post Graduate diploma is possible only following a minimum of two years or work and/or service.
Certificate: Note that this course of study is limited to women religious with a preference for local congregations. A congregation may submit a maximum of two application for certificates annually.
Diploma: Note that this course of study is limited to women religious with a preference for local congregations. A congregation may submit a maximum of two application for diplomas annually.
Fields of study will be limited to those that supports:
Scholarships will be available to students enrolling in the Faculty of Education of qualifying
institutions. Available courses may include Post Graduate Degree in Education, Master of Higher
Education Management and Development, Master of Education Management and Planning,
Education Science, Bachelor of Science in Education, Bachelor of Arts in Education, Bachelor of
Education, Diploma in Secondary Education, Diploma in Education, Diploma in Teacher Education,
Diploma in Psychology and Counselling.
2. Building just societies
Scholarships will be available to students enrolling in the Faculty of Law, Departments or Faculty
of Philosophy, Religious Studies, Gender and Development, Community Development. Available
courses may include Master in Law, Bachelors in Law, Masters in Social Work, Bachelor of Arts in
Social Work, Master in Philosophy, Bachelors in Peace Studies and International Relations, Master
in Peace Studies.
3. Effective congregational/Church management and leadership.
Scholarships will be available to students studying finance, administration, management and economics and enrolling in the Faculty of Business of qualifying institutions. Available courses may include Master in Business Management, Master in Human Resources Management, Master in Finance and Corporate Management, Bachelors Business Administration, Diploma Business Administration, Diploma in accountancy.
Scholarships are given to scholars studying in their country of domicile. Qualifying institutions are those recognized by NACTE and TCU.
Only students who are starting a course of study are eligible; a student in an on-going course of study is not allowed to apply for a scholarship.
The total number of scholarships awarded annually depends on the availability of funds.
There will be no age restriction; however, the scholar should show that he or she will be able to provide service and leadership for a period of time in a manner comparable to the investment made.
An applicant who is not accepted on his or her first application is not barred from submitting an application in a subsequent year. However, if an applicant is not successful after three submissions, he or she will no longer be eligible.
A scholar is not eligible to receive a tuition scholarship if he or she is a recipient of another scholarship for the same course of study.
Primary award/Selection Criteria:
Experience and/or potential for leadership
Participation in service related activities in the community, congregation, etc.
Achievements (academic, professional, congregational)
Applications for the Catholic Scholarship Programme for Tanzania is open in April 2018. The
deadline for receiving applications is June 30th, 2018.
Terms and Conditions:
1. The scholarship award is partial and will include only tuition costs and fees for the entire
duration of the course of study.
2. The scholar will also receive a contribution to be used at his or her discretion to cover additional
expenses such as books, research, and travel. The contribution is:
a. Certificate: TZS 200,000
b. Diploma: TZS 200,000
c. Bachelors: TZS 350,000
d. Master’s: TZS 500,000
3. All expenses related to boarding, medical, and other expenses should be covered by the scholar.Applicants should demonstrate the ability to pay the balance of their study costs without the need to interrupt their studies.
4. Participation in designated Leadership Courses are mandatory and will be undertaken during long breaks, holidays or other designated items. The courses will include: Servant Leadership; Child Protection, Catholic Social Teaching and Professional Management Skills.
5. Each applicant must be attested to by at least three persons in leadership positions, inclusive or his/her superior/ Bishop. The scholar and sponsor must also demonstrate a willingness for the scholar to engage in a leadership role following his or her studies.
6. Lay applicants must be sponsored by their employer and enter into a bonding agreement for a minimum of two years with the same following his or her graduation.
7. Successful candidates are notified by e-mail of their selection or declination by 30th July of each year.